Height difference: 260m
Ground: asphalt, macadam, forest path
Time needed: 1.5h
Path for mountain cycling near the center of the town. We start from the square and next to the town hall we go to Sokolova street on which we continue until we leave the town. After lots of steeply climbs we pass through Gradski Vrhovci and then we turn left on non-asphalted road at Crkveni Vrhovci. After few exchanges of shady forest paths and opened views on both sides of Požeška gora we arrive to Vasine Laze , where is tour reporting point near the well. We continue on left to Požega and adrenaline downhill comes up soon. We get out from the forest in Vidovci and we continue forward to main road and then we go left to the center of the town. The road is marked with cycling marks.
Map and elevation profile
Sign a tour!
After you have conquered the tour you can report yourself in two ways:
1. Directly from the terrain using the mobile device over the member page. Approximate point for tour report is near the well in Vasine Laze
2. You can send photo of you, your bike and the well in the background.
For more details click on members menu.
Music used in video:
Maserati - Monoliths
(Temporary Residence 2009.)
The Town Museum in Požega
Thanks to Julije Kempf, an eminent citizen of Požega, historian, the author of the first monograph about Požega and the mayor, the Town Museum was founded in 1924.
The trademark of the museum is a baroque trade civic house Krauss from the beginning of the 18. century which was bought by the Town council for the needs of the museum in 1953. The museum consists of four compartments (arhaeological, historical, historical-artistic with a gallery and ethnological) which take care of 16 collections with about 30 thousand objects. Because of the lack of space the following items aren't exibited: ethno collection and art and coin-sfragistic collection (coins, medals, badges etc.). One of the important collections are: the Feudal Age, the Middle class, Lerman's collection and the collection of Miroslav Kraljević. In the museum library, beside the textbooks and historian books, there are also rare and old books, works of writers from Požega and manuscripts. In the special auditorium there are various art, cultural-historical and pedagogical exibitions.
The Holy Trinity Square
As early as in the 19. century was Požega called „the Athens in Slavonia“ because of its culture, and the Holy Trinity Square in a baroque style is the town centre and an important cultural monument. Požega is the so-called town-monument because of its heritage and a rich „Golden Valley“ history.
The Holy Trinity Square with its irregular triangle shape, bolts and a baroque column takes a special place. On the Square there is also a Franciscan monastery and the Church of the Holy Spirit from the 13. century, St. Lawrence Church with murals from the 14. century, a building of the Jesuits' collegiat body built in 1711., the first Grammar School from 1726., the Old Town Hall and the museum.
The Church of the Holly Spirit and The Franciscan Monastery
The historical resources accessible to the public claim that the Franciscan church of the Holy Spirit is the oldest preserved church in Požega. The Franciscan built the monastery and the church in 1285. When Požega was conquered by the Ottomans, the monastery was torn and the church was turned into a mosque and called Šerklot. That's why there are remains of the late Romanic, Gothic and Ottoman architecture in the church.
After they had left, the Franciscan came back, started building a new monastery and began with the restauration of the church. The interior is full of valuabe baroque altars and pictures and especially the valuable baroque altar is in the sacristy from the 1737. Beneath the sanctuary there is a grave closed in 1867. where among the Franciscan there were also important people from Požega buried. Luka Ibrišimović, who liberated Požega and this part of Slavonia from the Ottomans, was buried here as well.
The monastery boasts a rich library as well. Although the greatest part was destroyed in fire, it is categorized as a national monument, among the most valuable ones in Croatia. The Franciscan library nowadays has an invaluable collection of the old and rare transcripts of which there are two incunabulums worth mentioning. The Bible, which was printed in 1486.in Nürnberg consists of four volumes, whereas its third volume is only to be found in Požega.
The Plague Column
The famous landmark in the centre of Požega is the Column of the Holy Trinity put up in 1749. in memory of the pledge against the plague which had devastated the city inhabitants ten years earlier. It is also known as „The Plague Column“. It is one of the scarcely preserved public monuments from that period in Slavonia and one of important examples of the baroque sculptures in Croatia.
The statue is in the shape of a square with a pointed part, crowned by sculptures of the Holy Trinity with statues of the saints in its lower part. Its variety of ornaments and iconographic complexity ranks this column among the most important monuments of this kind in the Republic of Croatia. The monument was built by „pictor di Veneta“ Gabrijel Granicije for 2000 eggs and 300 forints. If you are wondering why so many eggs, that's because they were used as a binding substance for the marble sand. After its construction, there has never ever been a plague in Požega.
What you can see on the main square in Požega is not the original, but its replica, because the original one has suffered numerous structural and mechanical damages, therefore it must be kept isolated from any atmospheric influence. The replica was erected in 2005. in the presence of the President of the Republic of Croatia Stjepan Mesić.
St Theresia's Cathedral
Nobody has ever found out who was the constructor of this extraordinary late baroque cathedral, but it is known that the ground-plan was sent by the empress Maria Theresia herself. The foundation stone was put in June 1756., and the conctruction lasted seven years. There is a stone board on which are Maria Theresia and bishop Thauzy engraved and mentioned as beneficiaries for the construction of the church. The board from 1763. is situated above the portal. The interior is in the late baroque and rococo style. The main altar with its monumentality dominates and represents a rare example of the baroque and rococo unity. It was given by the bishop Franjo Thauzy at the consecration of the church. The beauty of the church is enhanced by paintings from 1898.and 1899. made by famous Croatian painters Celestin Medović and Oton Iveković.
The Old Town of Požega
It was mentioned for the first time as a fortress (castrum de Posega) and dates back in 1227. The fortress belonged to the medieval defence architecture, and is believed to be built in the 11. century. From the monumental octagonal fort with a defence tower there are practically nothing left, exept from the bookings, drawings, engravings and works of art. Today, there is a maintained park and a promenade called Stari grad on its place. The only remains of the old fortress are parts of the foundation and walls at its base hill.
Sightseeing and tourism
Hotel Grgin dol
The hotel was opened in December 1961. after the renovation of the former archery. In the beautiful and natural surroundings, in the part of town known for ages as Grgin dol, named after a certain Grga, today's hotel exists under the same name and offers a pleasant and good accommodation in three pavilions connected to the reception and the restaurant.
In the vicinity of the town centre,in the middle of the abundant greenery, at the foot of Požeška gora, it is a guarantee for a pleasant stay and pleasure in extraordinary cuisine. Among many well chosen delights of the slavonic and international cuisine, the specialty of the house is the famous „Barun Trenk steak“, their pride and joy. A great selection of wines comes from all wine producers of the region.
It is recognizable according to the specific symbol of Požega – fra Luka Imbrišimović Sokol (the Hawk). It is in the town centre across the Town museum.
There are over 30 varieties of beer served there a well as the indigenous cuisine. The specialty is a smoked sausage made according toa secret home recipe with stewed cabbage and potatoes, the combination with a pork joint is very similar to the previous dish. The menu is based on the traditional cuisine of this region with čobanac (sheperd's stew), beans and sarma (stuffed pickled cabbage leaves) and a few different kinds of sausages like smoked, grill and beer sausages.
Pizza Bolte Lounge Bar
Pizza Bolte Lounge Bar situated in the town centre is modern and suits everyone's taste. They offer around ten types of pizzas nad sandwiches, a great variety of wines and spirits. Visitors can enjoy live tamburitza players at weekends.
It is situated in the town centre, in the vicinity of the main square and the Town museum in Požega. Walking through the ancient passage of the secessian multi-storey building on the main square there is a cellar in one of the buildings with an ancient looking tavern. It offers a la carte dishes, fish dishes, meat and side dishes, hot and cold starters, soups, desserts and salads. The interior is very comfortable, suits all tastes.